Tuesday, October 18, 2016

Newport

I slept in until 9. Camin and I walked along the beach while dad showered. It was about half an hour of nice weather before it started to rain pretty heavy so we went back to the hotel. We got packed up and went downtown to find breakfast.

We had a late breakfast at 10:30 at a place called Pig'n Pancake where I ordered a shrimp and cheese omelette.

Chicken egg, meet shrimp

It was good! I also had several bites of Camin's pancakes because they were also good. After we ate, we walked down to an antique store but I got distracted and went to a bath salt shop instead. There I bought a bath bomb (for my mom), soap that looks like a sand dollar (also for my mom), and bath salts (for Shawna). It cost $14 but the lady behind the register gave me incorrect change (which I didn't notice until I got back to the car) so technically it cost me $10.50.

I found Cam and dad at the antique store a little after 11:30. Dad bought a WW2 vest! We said goodbye to Seaside and got back on 101 to take us to Newport. GPS said it was a 2.5 hour drive.

We got about 5 minutes outside of town before having to pullover because there was a pretty view of the sea and we wanted pictures.

Worth it!

Then we drove for 15 more minutes before stopping at another pretty view.

Still worth it!

Then we got back on the road. Then we stopped half an hour later because there was a Maritime Museum. Dad paid for us to get in and we wandered around looking at sea things.

Creepy

On the first floor was boats and gift shop, the second floor had older items. Cam and I tried one of the hands on activities of building a bucket.

Never mind the leak at the bottom

They had a room of old guns which was boring.

Boring to me that is

We left after 20 or 30 minutes. Dad drove until we hit Tillamook where we stopped to see the Air Museum.

Here we are!

There are many things to see such as planes, helicopters, trucks, trains, tractors, things I don't know what to call, mannequins....

When you don't know what to do with your hands

There was a massive plane outside you could walk into.

Space Odyssey vibes

Rotorcraft


"I have a jacket like that"-Dad



Who wore it best?

They had several cockpits you could sit in, some were for a A-7E Corsair II and a EA-3B Skywarrior. One of the last things to see was the plane like the one Pake flew in Korea.


We spent over half an hour there and left around 2:20. We stopped once more to get some pictures on the beach, then stopped again to check out an antique store, then did more driving.

There was a place called Devil's Punchbowl and we had to stop. You don't pass by things called Devil's Punchbowl and not stop. That's crazy talk. The Punchbowl is this giant rock with an opening that waves crash into and fill up.

Devil's Punchbowl

It's cool! By now it was 4:50. Back on 101, we arrived in Newport around 5:15. Dad got us a hotel that's pretty nice. It has a view of the sea, 2 separate bedrooms, and a kitchen area with a couch for Camin (I had to sleep on the couch in Vancouver for 3 nights so it's fair that he gets the couch tonight).

We dumped our luggage and got back in the car to find food. A short drive later we got to Mo's to chow down.

Dad and I ordered a family bowl of clam chowder, onion rings, and oysters. Cam got a hot dog and fries.




Holy shit I love clam chowder. The onion rings came on a skewer and were also delicious.

Onion ring tower

And the oysters were hard to crack but once open I put lemon and butter on them and ate them whole.



Hallelujah!

I ate half the onion ring tower, 2 bowls of chowder, and 4 clams. My belly was feeling tight! The bill was $48 and I paid for it with dad putting down a tip. It was around 6:30 when we left. We debated going to a movie but everyone was apathetic either way so we went back to the hotel to hang out and listen to the sea.

I got caught up on typing and watched TV with Cam and Dad. Other than the rain on the beach in Seaside, it was a gorgeous day.


No comments:

Post a Comment