Saturday, May 30, 2015

Edinburgh!

Slept in until 8:00. The sun was so bright it woke me up. Maria and I got ready and left at 9 to find breakfast on the streets. We stopped by a few places before taking a chance on Le Cafe Bleu. It was small and there was a giant Scottish teddy bear inside.

He's over 30 years old the owner said

I ordered a spicy chicken panini and a strong latte. The guy running the place was cool and friendly. We chatted it up and talked about Scotland not going independent and how he was bummed about that. And when he gave us our food he was like "If you don't like it I'll make you anything else!", lil sweetheart. But the food was good!

Breakfast

I can't remember the price but right after we left we walked by the crepe stand from yesterday and I got a dark chocolate coconut crepe. While the guy made it Maria went off to take a picture of some rock with a plaque on it. The guy making it saw her and was like "I've lived here for three years and have never read that sign."

Side note: people here are very attractive. Dublin didn't have a lot of handsome and beautiful people, but they were more rocker-ish types and that made them sort of attractive. But the Scots are physically attractive. That must be why I'm so stunning.

We had a general idea of where we wanted to go cause I made a list of things to see. We passed by a cute boutique and went inside. I had 80 pounds I wouldn't be using for the rest of this trip. I bought a dress for 50.

A finer lass you will never see.

They had a lot of fun shirts I wanted to buy Camin and Ian but I am only rich in good looks and my love for them has a limit and thy name is price tag. So I got my dress and left.

We went to the National Library of Scotland. I didn't know what they would have but they had 2 exhibits to look at. One was full of boring old papers and the other was dark and kinda creepy. I was set up like an old room with fake windows that displayed the streets turning day to night with a full moon.


It was a room full of costumes dedicated to old people like Conan Doyle, Walter Scott, Darwin, Lord Bryon, Richard Ford, Duke of Argyll, I don't know, it seemed random and I only recognized Conan and Darwin. Something funny happened, besides Maria and I there was a mother and son. They were reading about something when suddenly they started looking around like bombs were being dropped overhead. Then they went back to normal and started reading again. It was totally random and hilarious. I went back to reading too when some weird sounds came from a speaker overhead. They were super creepy and sounded like a person but no real words were coming out, just sounds I think a ghost would make. I realized that that was what the mother and son were freaking out over. I asked Maria if she heard the sound and she said no.

Outside there was a guy playing a bagpipe in front of some building.


Then we went to St Giles Cathedral because it was one of the free places I knew about. I was down to 30 pounds.

Dog playing catch in front

It was a 3 pound charge to take pictures inside. So I didn't take any pictures! But trust me, it looked like a cathedral.

Maria and I went to a touristy store and I picked up some stuff for Ian and Camin. I got a magnet, 3 postcards, and 2 singing mini bagpipes with the Clan Cameron and Clan McKay on it. I was going to get Ian a Clan Cameron one too but then I thought of how odd that would be to give your brother a gift with your other brothers name on it. Actually, that would have been really funny. I should have done that.

Next I had us go to the Edinburgh Anatomical Museum. We had trouble finding it and passed by the coffee shop where J.K Rowling wrote bits of Harry Potter. We also passed a dog statue that everyone was taking their picture with so I took a picture too to fit in.


I knew the museum was part of the University of Edinburgh so we went there. And it wasn't there! We stopped for drinks and free wifi at some coffee place and I had a peach tea.

The cost of wifi

We found directions to the museums and Maria led the way. And we found it! The Anatomical Museum is home to old anatomy stuff they used to teach the uni students back in the 1800's. We were asked to only take pictures on the bottom floor.

Whale jaw in the background

Upstairs was a large room with rows and rows of body parts and old anatomy toys. The had jars of some animals but mostly body parts. There was a preserved body that had been shot up with mercury and other yummy fluids. It was blackened and gross and his penis was still there.

It wasn't creepy as I had hoped but I liked it. It was free. We left and went for a walk to go to Nelson's Monument. We could see it from the streets of Edinburgh.

I'm going to climb you.

We had to walk up some steep stairs and then we were at this park. The Nelson Monument was built in the 1800's and is named after me. It is also named after this guy Admiral Horatio Nelson who died leading his fleet to victory at the Battle of Trafalgar in 1805. It cost 4 pounds a person to climb which is expensive but I've wanted to do this since I decided to go to Scotland.

Does this look like a penis or is it just me?

The climb was over 100 stairs (Maria counted) and it was tiring.

Just saw the 'Halfway there!' sign.

Then we were at the top! I soaked in the view. I could see everything from here! I hadn't realized we were so close to the sea. It was very windy and a little bit on the chilly side.

I climbed you.

I wrote one of my postcards. It seemed like a cool idea to write a letter from on top of the city. But it was very windy and then other people were at the top as well. I finished 1 postcard and packed the rest for later.

We were hungry for pasta and had been for the past couple days so we stopped at this place called Martons there was this Italian restaurant. I got 'fusilli norcina' and Maria got a this chicken pesto and we both ate half then switched and ate the other half. Both pastas were soo good. I ate really fast.

Pasta lunch.

Couldn't say which was better. We wanted ice cream and put our order in with our server and she took so long that we tried to get the bill. Then that took forever. I wrote my postcards while we waited, one for Ian, one for my dad, and one for my grandparents.

'Can you send me some money? Love, Calla'

We got ice cream after maybe 20 minutes since we ordered it. That's something different about the restaurants I've noticed. In America servers are tripping over themselves to make you happy and here we're not treated as nice. The ice cream was good.

Oreo ice cream you were not worth the wait

Maria had to pick up the bill because I didn't have enough pounds. It was 27 pounds for everything.

After a late lunch (we had lunch at 3) we went to the Scotts Monument.


It cost 4 pounds to go up the monument and I decided not to. We had a better view from the Nelson Monument. We walked around looking for a post office and couldn't find one. We did get some international stamps and that cost 10 pounds for 6 stamps.

We went back to our hotel and hung out at the bar. Maria has a step counter and we walked 7 miles today. I got yesterdays blog up and got part of today. We went out to find dinner and got fruit and sandwiches from a little store. I had to borrow more money. I owe Maria 25 pounds now. Our hotel told us where some post office boxes were so we left again to find them and it was a success.

Back to the hotel. Maria and I spent some time trying to find accommodations for the dates we were to spend in Berlin. We were going to stay with her friend in Berlin and she made it out to sound like it was a done deal. Turns out she didn't even have this fucking friends phone number, let alone address. Berlin is now out and we don't have anywhere to stay for those 2, maybe 3 days. It's very frustrating and we're trying to work out a new place to stay, possibly a new country to visit. Maria wants to ditch our original plan and go to the Czech Republic and I want to stay with it but find somewhere in Germany to go besides Berlin since we can't afford any place to stay there.

I went to bed at 1. I had an awesome day but a crappy ending to it. I still love our hotel and think it's neat. Maria thinks it's creepy.

No comments:

Post a Comment